Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Notes on "Illyria"

I've cribbed much of the following from back-and-forth responses about "Illyria" to the Yahoo "Twinloss" group. The chunks have been re-arranged for the sake of clarity (and to eliminate repetitive free-association strings).
I had written "Illyria" some years before, but hadn 't posted it to this particular group. At the time, most of my poems weren't about anything personal. This one was, but I didn't post it to the one group that would "get it" most deeply.
Maybe it was from fear of opening an emotional can of worms, maybe I was distracted by the upcoming trip that would side-track me into the UK for a few years, or maybe it was "a blonde moment." Hair colour is the easiest excuse.

 

===============================
NOTES: on "Illyria," and sundry other matters
 ===============================

Thank you all for your kind responses.
I don't usually explain anything about my poetry, but with this group, I will because . . . well . . . I'm a sibling short and you all know what that's like.
So consider yourselves adopted. "Illyria" is all about the Shakespeare - the legacy of being raised by two Brit parentos (both with a love of English literature).
"Illyria" was written for my brother on our birthday some years ago - the fifth birthday after he died.
Someone asked me what I meant by calling Marcus and myself "Twelfth Night twins."
A Twelfth Night twin is a twin born January 6 (Twelfth Night). That is my/our birthday.
"Twelfth Night," by Willie the Shakes, is about two twins who each believe the other was drowned in a shipwreck.
Viola describes herself as "all the sons of my father's house, and all the daughters, too."
The song "Come Away, Death," contains the phrase "in sad cypress be laid." It was the popular coffin material.
And the twins are described thus: "An apple cleft in twain is not more twin."
When Sebastian and Viola are re-united, Sebastian declares, "I should let my tears fall upon your cheek /And say, "Thrice welcome."
Oh, and if wishes were fishes, I'd give much for that kind of reunion.
In setting up the Queer Poetry group here [on Yahoo!/YaHell], a newer member from the now-defunct previous group asked me a question that I hadn't thought to mention.
      Q: "What does 'frater geminus superstes' mean?"
      A: It means "the brother twin survives."
There's a poem in the thought of "surviving vs. living." I'm living, and I believe Marcus still does - and not only in my heart.
Half a lifetime ago, when we were sixteen, he was my hero and my champion.
And he still is. Love never dies.
(love ya, bro)
Happy New Year and much love to all here, 

Todd, twin to Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment